Meet Dr. Sy
Dr. Ira Paul Sy DDS, MS, Dip Periodontics
Dr. Ira Paul Sy received his D.D.S. from Case Western Reserve University in Ohio, and later obtained his specialty certification training in Implants and Periodontics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, along with an M.S. Degree in Oral Biology. He is currently on faculty at the University of British Columbia, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Case Western Reserve University as a Clinical Assistant Professor in Periodontics, and is also Visiting Professor of Periodontics at the University of Witten in Germany. His interests are in the fields of aesthetic soft tissue therapy, bone regenerative therapy, and implant assisted therapy.
In addition, he maintains a full-time private practice focusing in comprehensive periodontal and implant assisted therapy both in Richmond and Vancouver, British Columbia. Dr. Sy's goal is to give the absolute best care possible to help patients regain healthy teeth and gums, and to help them, alongside their general dentist, maintain optimal oral health.
Alongside his passion for dentistry, Dr. Sy also enjoys his downtime as an avid (former professional) cyclist, loves spending time with his lovely wife and two beautiful daughters, and catching the occasional Marvel movie!
- Straumann ITI Prosthetic and Surgical fellowship at the University of Berne, Switzerland(1998)
- Awarded Diplomate Status, American Board Of Periodontology (2000)
- Chief of Periodontics at Perkins Dental Clinic and assistant mentor in periodontics for the advanced general dentistry program at Fort Hood Texas (1998-2001)
- Director of the Graduate Periodontology and Implantology residency program at the University of British Columbia(2001-2005)
- Consultant for Implant Therapy at the Veteran’s Administration Hospitals(2006-Current)
- Member of the PEERS (Platform for Exchange of Education and Research) NA(2008-Current)
- Founder and Director of the Vancouver Institute of Osseointegration (2003-Current)
- Selected Winner in the Straumann World Esthetic Case Competition(2011)