Meet Dr. Sy
Dr. Ira Paul Sy DDS, MS, Dip Periodontics
Dr. Ira Paul Sy received his D.D.S. from Case Western Reserve University in Ohio, and later obtained his initial specialty certification training in Implants and Periodontics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, along with an M.S. Degree in Oral Biology. Thereafter, he completed a Prosthetic Implant Fellowship at the University of Bern in Switzerland and further maxillofacial training with the US ARMY Dental Corp.
He has served as Director of the Graduate Periodontology and Implantology residency program at the University of British Columbia. He is currently on faculty at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Case Western Reserve University as a Clinical Assistant Professor in Periodontics, and is also Visiting Professor of Periodontics at the University of Witten in Germany. His interests are in the fields of aesthetic soft tissue therapy, bone regenerative therapy, and implant assisted therapy.
His main interest are in the field of minimal invasive aesthetic soft tissue therapy, advanced hard tissue biological regenerative therapy, and Prosthetic/ Surgical implant assisted oral rehabilitation. In 2011, he was the only Canadian selected in the Straumann World Wide Soft Tissue Esthetic Case Competition. In 2015, he was selected to author "Oral Implant Rehabilitation in the Aesthetic Zone-Clinical Reality and Potential Pitfalls"
Dr. Sy was awarded Diplomate status by the American Board of Periodontology, member of the Academy of Periodontology, Academy of Osseointegration, Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Restorative and Prosthodontics, PEERs (Platform for Exchange of Education and Research) group for North America. Currently, he offers lectures, hands-on, and live courses under the BC Implant Centre and a Comprehensive Implant Fellowship under the Vancouver Institute of Osseointegration(VIOSS).
In addition, he maintains a full-time private practice focusing in comprehensive periodontal and implant assisted therapy both in Richmond and Vancouver, British Columbia. Dr. Sy's goal is to give the absolute best care possible to help patients regain healthy teeth and gums, and to help them, alongside their general dentist, maintain optimal oral health.
Alongside his passion for dentistry, Dr. Sy also enjoys his downtime as an avid (former professional) cyclist, loves spending time with his lovely wife and two beautiful daughters, and catching the occasional Marvel movie!
- Straumann ITI Prosthetic and Surgical fellowship at the University of Bern, Switzerland(1998)
- Awarded Diplomate Status, American Board Of Periodontology (2000)
- Chief of Periodontics at Perkins Dental Clinic and assistant mentor in periodontics for the advanced general dentistry program at Fort Hood Texas (1998-2001)
- Director of the Graduate Periodontology and Implantology residency program at the University of British Columbia(2001-2005)
- Consultant for Implant Therapy at the Veteran’s Administration Hospitals in Northern California (2006-2018)
- Member of the PEERS (Platform for Exchange of Education and Research) NA(2008-Current)
- Founder and Director of the Vancouver Institute of Osseointegration (2003-Current)
- Selected Winner in the Straumann World Esthetic Case Competition(2011)
- Founder and Director of the BC Implant Centre (2021-Current)